Ingredient profile - Alexanders
- Styrium Olusatrum
- Introduced by the Romans (hence the name)
- Normally found by the sea, so easily found in Newcastle.
- Celery/parsley flavour.
- Young shoots can be picked in winter & early spring.
- Look out for on beach, pathways etc - first seaside greenery of the year.
- Originally used in many different dishes, but were replaced by celery.
- All parts are edible, best blanched.
- Currently appearing as an accompaniment to our Pan seared Sea Trout dish, with smoked hay mayo, nettles and bulgar wheat.
Styrium Olusatrum Introduced by the Romans (hence the name) Normally found by the sea, so easily found in Newcastle.